Skip directly to: Main page content

McLaughlin Natural Reserve


By the time you get to this stage, you have of course already discussed your proposed research with the Resident Directors, Cathy Koehler and Paul Aigner. If not, please first contact Cathy and Paul in order to discuss your ideas. If you have not already done so, you may also schedule a reconnaisance visit to the Reserve to determine its suitability for your research. Once you've done that:

1. Submit an online NRS Research Use application. Once you have decided to conduct research at the McLaughlin Reserve, and before you begin any research, you will need to submit an online NRS Research Use application. If you have more than one research project, a separate application must be filed for each project. If you make any changes to your project as described in your research application, you must submit your proposed changes to the Resident Directors, who may ask you to ammend your research application to reflect those changes. The McLaughlin Reserve uses an online Reserve Application Management System (RAMS) for the submission of applications. Approved applications are valid for one academic year only (from the date of approval through the following June 30th); renewal of a research application must be arranged annualy directly with the Resident Directors.  

Each application requires a "Statement of Proposed Research Project". The Statement should be a complete but brief research proposal describing the research question, its significance, and the methods that will be used to answer the question. In particular, please clearly describe the location of field sites (as specifically as possible) and any potential disturbances to the reserve's ecosystem or cultural resources, including all experimental manipulations, collections, and the introduction of any species or genotypes. The application will be evaluated using the following considerations: potential impacts to natural systems; potential impacts to present or future long-term use of reserve for research or instructional purposes; potential conflicts with ongoing research or instructional programs; availability of alternative sites. Your application will be evaluated quickly so that you can start your project.

Before finalizing your research sites, please discuss them with the Reserve Directors. A few specific locations on the Reserve are available for use only by permission of the landowner, Barrick Gold Corporation. If you wish to use any of these locations, the Reserve Directors will work with you to determine the level of use you'll need for these locations, following which they will seek approval for your proposed activities from the appropriate Barrick staff. These locations include but are not limited to the Davis Creek Reservoir, Tailings Pond, Mine Pit, and all areas that have been directly impacted by past mining.


2. Schedule subsequent visits. Once your research application is approved you will need to notify the Resident Directors in advance of each visit. Also provide the name and status of each person accompanying you on your trip. Make sure these people have also completed waivers if they are not UC affiliated (review the waiver policy on the Visitor Information page). At this point, we don't expect you to meet with staff at each visit unless you wish to (in which case, you need to arrange a meeting time with us ahead of time), so you can just proceed to your field sites.

Schedule your visits as far in advance as possible, and send a notification at least three days ahead of your visit. If your plans are uncertain, provides us with a tentative schedule and inform us if plans change. Your visit notification will allow Reserve staff to inform you of any new information which may be important to you (e.g. , new gate lock combinations, road conditions, availability of overnight accommodations) or to find you at your field sites when you are here to inform you of something important (such as an emergency like a fire that is headed your way). Preferably, notification of each visit should be done by email or call (707) 995-9005. Please note that Reserve Staff cannot check email or phone messages every day, and thus information such as changed gate lock combinations or road closures cannot be provided to you if you do not provide sufficient notice of an intended visit.

3. Researcher responsibilities.

  • Collecting of any materials is permitted only with the express permission of the Resident Directors, appropriate collecting permits from state and federal agencies, and strict compliance with the UCD Animal Care Council. Any trapping and handling of vertebrates requires previous approval of the UCD Animal Care Council and the Resident Directors. See the Research and Class Use applications for further details. Copies of all applicable permits and approvals must be provided to the Resident Directors prior to commencing with your activities on the Reserve.
  • Provide the reserve managers with a map/GPS coordinates of research site locations. A GPS unit is available at the Reserve for researchers to borrow to document locations of their research sites.
  • Label your research locations clearly. This includes using easily seen markers such as pin flags, pvc posts, flagging tape AND labelling at least a few flags at each location with your initials. DO NOT use small markers such as swizzle sticks without also labelling the area with larger makers!  Refresh flags etc regularly if they wear out in the sun. If you do not wish to mark your research locations for whatever reason, please discuss this with the Resident Directors. Finally REMOVE all your markers when you are done. If you wish to retain some markers for possible future revisiting of plots, please discuss this with the Resident Directors.
  • Provide Metadata on your work. Please use a standardized entry form (at the link below) to tell us what kind of data you have collected. This does not mean "give us your data". The Metadata you provide simply helps us build a descriptive database of the research which has been conducted in association with the Reserve.

To enter your metadata, go to the Natural Reserve System's data management site and follow the directions.

  • Acknowledge the University of California Natural Reserve System and the McLaughlin Reserve in any publications resulting from use of or assistance provided by the McLaughlin Reserve. The proper wording for acknowledgements is as follows:
    1. Acknowledgment in publications or reports of work performed the McLaughlin Reserve or which used the Reserve as a base:
    2. "This work was performed {in part} at the University of California Natural Reserve System's Donald and Sylvia McLaughlin Reserve. "

    3. Acknowledgment in publications or reports of work that was monetarily supported by funds from the system-wide UC Natural Reserve System:
    4. "This work was supported by a Mildred E. Mathias Graduate Student Research Grant from the University of California Natural Reserve System. " or, as appropriate, "This work was supported by a grant from the University of California Natural Reserve System. "

  • Annual Summary of Research Project:
  • Please provide the following by July 30 of each year. Reserve staff will e-mail a reminder. The summary and list of publications will be published in the NRS Annual Report and on the NRS systemwide Web Page:

    1. A list of your current publications as well as abstracts for talks presented at professional conferences/syposia based on research done on or facilitated by the reserve. Please include published work (or if in press or in review), and non-peer reviewed materials such as dissertations, theses, technical reports, etc. Please remember to acknowledge the NRS and the McLaughlin Reserve in your publications.
    2. Sources of funding for your project, dates of funding, and the funding amount.